Thursday, October 30, 2008

Photographing kids

As I look at some of my favorite photos of children, I've noticed some similarities among the images. I nearly always try to get up close to the subject and just sit and watch with a camera in hand until the child no longer cares that I'm around, then I'll begin taking pictures. I almost never use a flash, and when I do, I bounce it off the ceiling. If you don't have a flash unit that can adjust direction, tape a piece of wax paper over the front - it will soften the light and reduce harsh shadows.

I try to take advantage of soft natural light. Either outdoors in the shade or inside near a window. Backlight works beautifully on children. You'll need to adjust your exposure compensation by +1 or +2 to make sure the strong light behind the subject doesn't fool the camera into making a darker exposure.

I usually shoot on aperture priority with the lens open to its larget possible setting (the lowest f-number). This creates the shallowest depth of field, which helps ensure the child is the center of attention in the picture.

Oh, and try to focus on the child's eyes. And pay attention to composition.

And if you have the wherewithal to do some Orton processing on your pictures, kids pictures are a natural for some softening.

Photographs © 2008 James Jordan.



Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home